Kids Dentist Houston
And Preventing Fear of Dentists
Kids dentist Houston provides important care for teeth, which affects overall health. Is your child afraid to go to the dentist? If so, he or she is not alone. It is perfectly normal for children to be fearful, especially if they have heard stories from older siblings about such things as long needles and noisy drills. At Marquette Dentistry, we are accustomed to helping children overcome their fears.
The earlier you begin bringing your children to the dentist’s office, the less stressful it will be for them as they grow older. We recommend that parents bring their infant in at six months or earlier, but the reason is because we like to offer important information that can help to ensure the child has the best chance for excellent dental health.
Avoid Creating a Buildup of Anxiety
When it’s time to bring your child to the dentist, try not to provide any details that would create anxiety. In our experience as a kids dentist Houston, we have learned that when parents keep things simple, the child tends to be more calm and at ease.
Words to avoid using include: hurt, pain, and shot. You can tell your child that the dentist is looking for “sugar bugs” that can cause damage to their teeth.
Words to use include: health, strong, and clean teeth.
Enact a Pretend Visit
When it is time for your toddler’s first visit to a kids dentist in Houston, it can be very helpful to act out a pretend visit. Do not make drilling noises but rather use a toothbrush to count your child’s teeth, either counting with numbers or using ABCs. This step can make your child comfortable with the visit, having become familiar with the routine.
Teach Good Oral Hygiene
Help your child understand that going to a kids dentist in Houston is not merely a matter of choice but an important necessity. Tell your child such things as:
- The dentist will help your teeth be strong enough for you to eat.
- The dentist helps prevent your teeth from getting sick with cavities.
By introducing a no-nonsense attitude, you can help your child experience excellent oral health.
There are numerous issues that we help parents address, and many pediatric dental problems we explain are new information. Contact our office today; we are an experienced kids dentist Houston.
FUN FACTS ABOUT HOUSTON TEXAS
- The most expensive home currently listed for sale in Houston is on Longfellow Lane in the Rice/Museum district. The house sits on almost two acres, has more than 12,000 square feet of living space and is listed for sale at $16,500,000
- The tallest building in Houston is the 75 floor JP Morgan Chase Tower which stands 1,002 feet tall. It is also the tallest building in Texas.
- The highest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 109 degrees. The record high was at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on September 4th, 2000 and again on August 27, 2011.
- For more info about Houston, click here!