Kids Dental Houston
Kids dental Houston is needed for families who understand the importance of beginning dental care early on in life. There are many times when a child ends up dealing with problematic issues unnecessarily simply because his or her parents were unaware of various behaviors that can damage the teeth either permanently or enough to require braces. We recommend contacting our office for kids dental in Houston even before an infant’s first tooth comes in. A lot can go wrong, due to a lack of understanding about proper dental care and hygiene for babies.
Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
There are several terms for baby bottle tooth decay, including early childhood caries, nursing bottle syndrome, and nursing caries. The term “caries” means crumbling or decay of tooth or bone. Nursing caries, unfortunately, is a widespread problem that is entirely preventable.
The cause of baby bottle tooth decay is frequently exposing an infant’s mouth to sugars in drinks, including:
- Fruit juice
- Water-diluted fruit juice
- Unswallowed breast milk
- Sugar water
When a baby naps or is put to bed with a bottle that contains any of the above-named liquids, the sugars are creating bacteria that can damage or destroy baby teeth. When baby teeth are destroyed, permanent teeth are usually adversely affected. The role of baby teeth is partly to guide permanent teeth into the correct position. When baby teeth are damaged or lost, the permanent teeth will not align properly, creating unsightly problems that affect bite. Braces usually become necessary.
Precautions of Nursing
According to experienced kids dental Houston, parentscan prevent baby bottle tooth decay by only allowing a child to have a small amount of water in his or her bottle when lying down. Of course, it can be difficult to coax a child into accepting a replacement for the comfort provided by a bottle containing a sugary drink, but it is worth the effort. Kids dental Houston recommends:
- Do not dip a pacifier in anything sweet or sugary.
- Find other ways to comfort or calm your infant besides giving him or her a bottle with sugary drinks. We recommend a small amount of water. Parents should be aware that it can be extremely hazardous to give infants more than a little water.
- Even before any of a baby’s teeth come in, use a damp cloth or a piece of gauze to wipe off his or her gums after drinking.
Contact our kids dental Houston office today for a pediatric or adult dental appointment.
FUN FACTS ABOUT HOUSTON TEXAS
- The most expensive home currently listed for sale in Houston is on Longfellow Lane in the Rice/Museum district. The house sits on almost two acres, has more than 12,000 square feet of living space and is listed for sale at $16,500,000
- The tallest building in Houston is the 75 floor JP Morgan Chase Tower which stands 1,002 feet tall. It is also the tallest building in Texas.
- The highest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 109 degrees. The record high was at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on September 4th, 2000 and again on August 27, 2011.
- For more info about Houston, click here!