Childrens Dentist Houston
Childrens dentist Houston helps parents equip their children to experience excellent oral health. One of the ways parents can help is by providing proper nutrition. The foods your children eat have a direct effect on the health of their teeth. You can help your children prevent painful tooth decay and long-term problems that extend to their adult teeth by making healthy food choices.
Good Nutritional Choices
As your childrens dentist in Houston, we encourage you to make good food choices, such as the following, to promote your children’s dental health:
- Fruits and vegetables are the best foods to choose for dental health. Among nature’s excellent and most recommended foods that contain a high volume of water are melons, celery, cucumbers, and pears. Please note that raisins and bananas contain concentrated sugars, and children should brush their teeth immediately after eating them.
- Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and other aged cheeses are great choices for a snack or lunch item for children. These foods help to trigger a flow of saliva, which helps to remove food particles from the teeth.
- Choose foods that are unsweetened or sugar-free.
Foods to Avoid or Brush Immediately After Eating
There are some foods which we, as your childrens dentist Houston, suggest you avoid adding to your children’s diets, such as the following:
- Chewy, sticky foods stick to the teeth and make it more difficult for saliva to wash away the sugar. We suggest that if your children eat any of the following foods, they immediately brush their teeth afterward: Granola bars, oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, caramel, molasses, honey, jelly beans, dried figs, and raisins.
- Sugary foods that linger on the teeth and therefore should be avoided include: hard candies, lollipops, mints, and cough drops.
We recommend that children become accustomed to limiting snacking. Any sugary treats that a child enjoys, we recommend they be served as desserts following a meal, not as a snack. Time between meals is helpful to allow saliva to wash away food particles. Snacking interrupts that process. Frequent snacking should be followed by brushing. Otherwise, bacteria in the mouth are constantly fueled.
Visit your childrens dentist in Houston at an early stage in a child’s life. There are dental problems that can develop at the infant stage, such as baby bottle tooth decay.
Contact us today for a pediatric dental appointment. As your childrens dentist Houston, we look forward to helping your children achieve dental health.
FUN FACTS ABOUT HOUSTON TEXAS
- The most expensive home currently listed for sale in Houston is on Longfellow Lane in the Rice/Museum district. The house sits on almost two acres, has more than 12,000 square feet of living space and is listed for sale at $16,500,000
- The tallest building in Houston is the 75 floor JP Morgan Chase Tower which stands 1,002 feet tall. It is also the tallest building in Texas.
- The highest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 109 degrees. The record high was at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on September 4th, 2000 and again on August 27, 2011.
- For more info about Houston, click here!