Braces Houston are needed by a pretty large percentage of the overall population, with some estimates at approximately 60% or higher. In other words, many people are familiar with the steps involved with wearing braces. The process of having braces put on usually takes about 1 or 2 hours. More about what to expect when you are getting braces in Houston follows.
The Process of Getting Braces
When your orthodontist has determined that it’s time for you to get braces in Houston, there are steps that lead up to actually having the braces placed in your mouth. First the dentist will ask for your medical background in order to assess overall health. An examination will be made to evaluate various aspects of your mouth, such as the relationship of the upper and lower teeth to each other. X-rays will be made, and then impressions are made. The patient bites into wax to make impressions of the upper and lower teeth. Assessments will be made about such details as your facial features and tooth position at the beginning of treatment.
Finally the Houston braces will be placed in your mouth, and it can take one or two appointments to complete the entire process. Examinations and adjustments are made every month to ten weeks. Changes are evaluated all along the way, to determine progress.
Dealing with Discomfort
Braces cause soreness usually for a week or so. The following are helpful tips for dealing with the discomfort and pain of Houston braces:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen are usually recommended for pain, though a person’s individual health profile determines which medicines are safe to take.
- It’s best to eat only soft foods for 24 to 48 hours after braces are installed. Choose soft foods such as mashed potatoes, yogurt, soup, scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, and milkshakes.
- Refrain from touching your sore mouth or teeth with your tongue or fingers. The more you touch sensitive areas, the more painful it will be.
- Avoid drinks and foods that will irritate your mouth sores; examples of what to avoid are tomato sauce and citrus fruit or juices.
- Be very careful after your braces are installed because it is easy to accidentally bite the inside of your cheeks until you are accustomed to the appliance. Mouth sores will heal quickly, however, and your mouth will toughen up.
With a little patience and care, you can easily get used to braces Houston and look forward to having a beautiful new smile.
FUN FACTS ABOUT HOUSTON TEXAS
- The most expensive home currently listed for sale in Houston is on Longfellow Lane in the Rice/Museum district. The house sits on almost two acres, has more than 12,000 square feet of living space and is listed for sale at $16,500,000
- The tallest building in Houston is the 75 floor JP Morgan Chase Tower which stands 1,002 feet tall. It is also the tallest building in Texas.
- The highest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 109 degrees. The record high was at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on September 4th, 2000 and again on August 27, 2011.
- For more info about Houston, click here!