Houston dentistry is often avoided by people who have a fear of going to the dentist. There are many benefits to proper dental treatment and care, and it’s important to overcome the fears that prevent a dental visit. The following are a few of the common fears related to Houston dentistry along with tips for overcoming them:
- It is completely normal to be afraid of the pain involved with a dentist prodding and poking a sensitive tooth. Many people are very uncomfortable with getting oral shots, and having teeth drilled can be a frightening thought. The good news is that today’s Houston dentistry has advanced techniques and tools for minimizing discomfort.
- A good way to deal with anxiousness about dental care is to schedule separate appointments. First meet with the dentist. For a second meeting, get your teeth cleaned. Once you have some low stress Houston dentistry experiences, you may find that you are better able to cope with your fears.
- To take your mind off of your fears, bring something with you on your appointment. Read a fun book, listen to music, or do some online shopping while you wait to see the dentist. Simply focusing on something you enjoy instead of the upcoming session with the dentist can help you relax.
- Don’t be shy about asking your dentist to use nitrous oxide when you’re in the dentist chair. Nitrous oxide is also called “laughing gas,” and it is a safe sedative that you inhale through a small mask over your nose. The laughing gas will help you relax. It won’t put you to sleep, but it only takes a few minutes to feel the effects of nitrous oxide. The effects wear off shortly after the mask is removed; but when it is on, you will feel comfortable and calm.
- If you are especially afraid of shots, the dentist can help you deal with that fear by numbing the area with a local anesthetic before giving you a shot of Novocaine.
- One option in Houston dentistry that should only be used as a final resort is to be sedated in a way other than nitrous oxide during your dental procedure. You may be prescribed a pill to take before going to the dentist office, so that you will be calm.
Modern Houston dentistry is fully prepared to meet the needs of patients, and dentists are equipped to calm their patients’ fears.