Family Dentist Houston
Family dentist Houston will help your family achieve good oral health. We offer Lumineers, Invisalign, and our cosmetic dentistry team has 20 years of experience. With regular checkups, we help our patients by removing plaque buildup and stopping the advancement of tooth decay. There are ways to prevent plaque and the harmful effect it has on your teeth, in addition to visiting your family dentist in Houston.
What is Plaque and What Causes It?
Plaque is a film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. It is sticky and colorless and can make the teeth feel fuzzy, when they aren’t brushed. Plaque is constantly forming in our mouths. Bacteria uses our saliva and ingredients in the foods we eat to grow. Foods containing sugars and starches – in other words, carbohydrates – are the main culprits in the development of plaque. Bacteria in our mouth thrive on such foods as milk, cake, candy, soft drinks, and potato chips. Acids are formed when bacteria mix with sugary foods. The acids cause destruction of tooth enamel, which results in tooth decay.
Plaque can also develop underneath the gum on the roots of your teeth, which causes breakdown of the bone which supports the teeth.
Do I Have a Plaque Problem?
If you want to try to figure out if you have a plaque problems prior to visiting your family dentist Houston, the following are a few tell-tale signs:
- Development of cavities, which can be painful
- Irritation of the gums surrounding the teeth
- Gingivitis, which is a condition in which the gums become red and swollen
How to Prevent Plaque Formation
The best way to prevent serious problems from developing as a result of plaque, visit your family dentist in Houston every six months for a teeth cleaning and checkup. More tips follow:
- Every day at least twice per day, brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush that has rounded-tip bristles. Be sure your toothpaste contains fluoride.
- When brushing your teeth, be sure to brush in the space where teeth and gums meet. Gums need brushing, in addition to the teeth, to prevent plaque buildup.
- At least once every day, floss between your teeth. Flossing removes food particles and bacteria between your teeth, which simply brushing can’t do.
- Use an antibacterial mouth rinse because it will help to reduce the bacteria that cause plaque.
Call us today, your family dentist Houston, to schedule dental appointments for your entire family.